Friday, November 26, 2004

The Heart's Dagger

Laurel was shocked back to instinct as something sharp pricked her neck, and she drew back forcefully, wild eyed. Her heart was throbbing in her ears, and her hand went to her throat, feeling at the spot. With a tremor of relief, she felt no blood, just a tiny indent.
Vrolok watched her with eyes full of pain, turned away, and she could see the way he licked angrily at the long canines protruding just beyond his lips. "I'm sorry..." His voice was barely a murmur.
Laurel's throat tightened, and she glanced at the stake lain to rest upon the cobbles. "I have to go."
He turned slowly, avoiding her eye. "Why?"
"I- they'll come looking for me if I don't-"
"No." He gave her a hard look. "I meant, why did you do this?"
She gazed at him, trying to read something beyond the pain in his face. Anger? She felt her skin prickle.
He began to shake his head, a bitter grin on his lips. "This." He tossed her back her cloak, and gestured at the stake on the floor, bit at his lip.
"Why didn't I kill you?"
"Hmm, no. I think I have that figured out by now, Laurel."
She felt herself blush, and caught the flicker of amusement in his eyes.
"No. Not that...but..."
"Why did I...?"
"...Trust me?"
She could only watch his features turn slowly questioning, a soft prod, eyes locked to hers. Suddenly, she coudn't find her voice.
Something in his eyes changed. Concern, to reproof, and hurt. "You don't even know, do you?" He looked away. "Hmm. Why should you trust me."
"Vrolok..."
"No, just...go. You said you had to go. They'll be looking for you by now."
"They're all asleep."
He turned sharply, glaring. "You'll trust me with your life, but you won't even tell me truthfully why you want to get away from me? What do you want from me, huntress? Amusement?"
"No, that's not-"
"Then what?"
"I just...you're still..."
Bitterness filled the whole of him, and she could see it plainly. "I can't help what I am. If that repulses you so, then you should just leave."
"No."
"What, haven't toyed with me enough, yet? Need to use me again, and try to find a good reason to kill me?"
She stood, dead silent, shocked.
He glared at her. "Need I give you one?"
She glared back, hot anger flushing through her now. "I have more than enough good reasons, but if you weren't so blind, you would see that my so-called amusement more than outweighs the desire to drive a bloody stake through your heart!"
"You still want to kill me, so why don't you?!"
"You still want to drink my blood, why don't you!"
There was a long silence, and as both felt their rage drain into their sorrows, they could only watch the other.
When he finally spoke, Vrolok's voice was no more than a whisper. "You can't know how this feels. To want..." She could catch the strain in his voice. He turned away. "To want someone like this...and at the same time...want to do the worst thing you can to them. And not be able to fight it."
Laurel could hardly swallow. Her words were a forced murmur. "You think I don't? I'm driven, by the same instinct...this is my life, as much as yours."
His laughter was soft. "You must think yourself quite dead, then."
She shook her head. "It's true, the huntress part of me, my very being...it's who I am. It's that part of me that considers a wooden stake and a ring of garlic my two best friends." She paused, feeling her composure tremble. "But I didn't kill you."
He glanced up at her. "Why?"
"For the same reason as you, I think." She felt her throat tighten, and her eyes began to itch and burn. "I just couldn't."
She swallowed hard, and felt the first salty drop hit her lips, roll down her chin, and another down her cheek. She suddenly felt arms come around her; softly, almost timidly; and collapsed into them, sobbing silently. Vrolok pulled her close, saying nothing, content just to hold her again. Unbidden, he felt his own eyes begin to sting. He sighed. Laurel shivered, wracked with tears, and he felt them seep through the thin fabric of his shirt, cool and damp on his skin. How long had it been, since he had been this close to someone? Since he had known his own tears? Since he had known someone elses? He forced these thoughts away, and sank to the floor, leaned against the wall, Laurel cradled quietly in his arms. He still felt her small, irregular gasps of breath as an occasional sob would quake her, but her tears were no longer a torrent. He was surprised to feel her relax at last, her head rested on his chest. Her eyes began to droop heavily, and he realized she hadn't slept at all that night. She looked up at him once, eyes so full of trust, that it struck him with a pang to the heart.
Soon after, her eyes closed, and he knew she had dozed off.
He held her for a long while after.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home